June 15, 2011

Coming soon...

The Detail Junky presented in...


I am finally moving onto a DSLR! For a few years I've been itching to invest in a better camera. Our aging 5.1 MP point-and-shoot Sony Cybershot just wasn't cutting it. I had an eye on Canon's entry level Rebel lineup for their reputation and, especially, their smaller size (having held the display models I knew they fit well in my small hands). Unfortunately, at $500+, a nice camera was always on the back burner...


...until now. A good deal came up so I decided to bite the bullet; a used Canon Digital Rebel XT (or EOS 350D) for $225 shipped. It came with the standard 18-55mm lens (with cover), upgraded 4GB memory (the original 1GB card was thrown into the deal), battery, and charger. The camera is in decent shape, though the body definitely looks to be of used condition (plenty of scratches, mostly on the bottom from being set down). On the other hand it only has an 800 shot lifespan and is functionally sound. The seller is a car acquaintance through the Sixthsphere.com (Saturn) forums. After some hunting around I found an XT (body only) for $190 and I did look at some newer XS's (one of which, body only, closed on eBay north of $280). In the end I decided I would rather put the money in the pockets of a member. I'm also no good at the whole bidding war thing. My Canon  may be moderately dated, plus its the silver body (I would have preferred black), but as my first DSLR it should suit me just fine. Finally, no more converting all of my images to black and white to extract a mediocre presentation! (Note: The camera pictured is just a representation.)

No comments:

Post a Comment