March 23, 2011

More Parts, Turbo/Manifold Mounted

The flow of parts is on the rise again. Friday my first order from Summit Racing showed with an order from ATP Turbo following on Monday. 


With my tax return and my summer job gearing up on the 14th (of next month) things are looking pretty good. Last night I took some time to button up the loose ends that were holding up final installment of the turbo/manifold assembly. First I got the oil feed/drain fittings bolted up with more ARP hardware. On the turbine I chased the threads in the five bolt holes for the exhaust outlet and screwed in some leftover ARP accessory studs. Afterward I mocked everything up so I could clock the turbocharger. Once I got everything where I wanted I pulled the unit one last time to unmask the exhaust ports and put an OEM exhaust manifold gasket in place. The five 12-point ARP nuts are all snugged down for the last time this round (hopefully). 



Done for awhile was the connection to the slim fans. A few weeks ago I finally purchased the 2-pin weather pack connector I needed to install the radiator. With the fans off to each side my radiator relocation brackets have given me a couple of (at least two) inches of clearance from the turbine. I do need to fiddle with a more secure solution for the wiring. In the pictures I just had the connector tucked up so I would snag the wiring while putting in the manifold. I may fiddle with the upper radiator brackets to create additional space.


On deck is the downpipe (the 5-bolt stainless steel exhaust outlet flange and gasket can be seen on the table). Right now I'm shooting to get this out of the way because it will also gateway wrapping up my engine bay wiring. This has been held up by the WBO2, EGT, and O2 sensors so I can ensure the final wiring is neither too short or long. Other projects in the pipeline include mounting stuff for oil filter relocation and filling the oil galleys with my oil feed and oil pressure sender (seen below mounted to brass Autometer adapters; I may or may not have polished them). 



No comments:

Post a Comment